Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Homemade Gummy Candy


We tried out a couple of recipes for homemade gummy candy this afternoon. After a little trial and error, I'd have to say this one is a keeper. It's about as quick, and easy as making rice crispy treats, and the candy turns out pretty close to the store bought variety.


The first recipe we tried from Easy Fun School called for:


  • 1 package flavored sugar free jello

  • 6 packages of unflavored gelatin

  • 1/2 cup of water

We mixed the flavored and unflavored gelatin in a pan, and then added the water, mixing until it was a sticky play dough like substance (I only wish our play dough had that nice of a color).




Then we melted the glob of gelatin, over medium heat, stirring constantly. This was a fast process, and my hands were too occupied stirring, to snap any pictures. Working quickly, we spooned the liquid into our mini muffin pan. A fancy ice cube tray, or candy mold, would work even better for this, but we used what we had on hand.


After about ten minutes in the refrigerator, our candies had gelled up enough to pop out of the pan. I cut the muffin circles into wedges, to make them more bite sized. And although, my taster thought they were pretty good, I thought they were a little bland, and a bit too rubbery.


The second recipe we tried came from Not So Idle Hands, and called for:

  • 1 package of flavored Jello (with sugar)

  • 3 packages of unflavored gelatin

  • a little more than 1/3 cup of water

I might have added a smidge too much water, because this time the candy was a little sticky. However, the flavor was much better, and the chewiness was much closer to that of a gummy bear.


In fact, after they'd had a chance to sit in an air tight container for a couple of hours, they were almost exactly like the store bought candy. Not that I managed to save many.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

3 comments:

Beth- the mama bee said...

good thing grocery store day is tomorrow. We will be trying the second recipe. thanks!

Jack said...

This is such a great post. I love all things that have to do with gummy candy so learning how to make my own is the best thing I've done all day. Thanks again!

Higleys said...

Thank you. these were easy and will be great for our B-day Lego party (If they can take the Florida heat. I'll be testing them before the party. I know you posted this awhile back however 3 TBLS is the equivalent to 1/6 cup or half 1/3 cup.