Thursday, January 20, 2011

Rainbow Fish Craft, and Birthday Party Game



For our stART (story + ART) project this week, I read the younger children Marcus Pfister's The Rainbow Fish.



It fits nicely with the ocean theme of our impending birthday party, and is a good reminder about sharing, which can't hurt.

After we read the story, I gave the girls small, cardboard, fish cutouts to decorate.



I punched eye holes in the fish, to be filled with paper fasteners later, and spread them with glue, so the girls could stick on pre-cut, tissue paper, "scales".



Each fish got one silvery scale, for a rainbow fish effect. I happened to have some left over, silvery, tissue paper to use, but tinfoil would work as well.


When they were decorated, I added the metal, paper fastener eyes, and drew numbers on the back, so we can use them in a magnetic fishing game during the party. Each player will catch two fish with their fishing poles (refrigerator magnets tied with ribbons, to wood dowels). They will add up the numbers on the back of their fish, and the highest total wins the round. A tie will result in a "fish off" between the players with same total.

Then later, after the party, we'll have a math game, to use for number sequencing (catching the fish, and placing them in order on a number line), addition, and multiplication practice, and just general fun.

For more story themed arts and crafts, check out this week's stART (story + ART) link-up, at A Mommy's Adventures.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

12 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love how you added math to this craft and the future game. What a great idea. I am not sure how I feel about the first Rainbow Fish tale - I happen to think that the fish "bought" affections of his friends.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Natalie - I have mixed feelings about the message of Rainbow Fish. I think the other fish should like him for who he is, without wanting what is his. But, I like the idea of sharing good things with your friends, and not hoarding them just for yourself. The pictures are wonderful, though :)

Debbie said...

I love how you incorporated this craft, and math for the birthday party game. We haven't read this book yet, I may see if I can get a peek into it.

Birthday Party Ideas said...

This is really great, i like it. Thank you sharing this blog.

Christy Killoran said...

We have done a Rainbow fish craft, but I love the way you turned it into a game! I am sure the party will be a lot of fun.

I agree with you about the message of the book.

maggy, red ted art said...

Oh these are nice and easy to make and great that the kids can join in too. Love them. Perfect. Cute!

Maggy
Kids Get Crafty

Ticia said...

What a cute game. They're going to have so much fun.

I'm with you on the mixed feelings on teh book.

Unknown said...

This is a really nice craft. I am going to have to do this. I love the idea of the game being homemade! Thank you for sharing.

Amy said...

Love this green game! I sometimes struggle with what to do with artwork after the kids make it, but love the multifunction of this! TFS!

Brimful Curiosities said...

A fish off! Love it.

You could play a fishing game with letters too for little tots that were trying to learn their letters.

Susana said...

I love your craft and the game idea--agree with the message of the book and mixed feelings on it too. Do love the illustrations though as you mentioned.

Anonymous said...

Craft, math, and fun, it's great!