Sunday, April 24, 2011

Peeps Experiment #3 - Egg Drop

We had a very busy, but extremely enjoyable week. Things have calmed down around our house enough now though, to slip in one last Easter Peeps experiment.


Since it ended up taking a solid 60 hours to dissolve our Peep, in contact with pineapple, and the one in water never did dissolve (click here to view that experiment), we decided to opt for a non-eating experiment this time, going with the ever popular egg drop, instead.

I gave the children a couple of packages of Peeps, a raw egg, some tape, and two different containers to choose from - an empty Pop Tarts box, and a washed out Cool Whip tub.

After a little trial and error, testing out how things would fit, they decided the Pop Tarts box provided the better shape for centering the egg in a protective layer of Peeps, all the way around. Besides, doesn't a Peeps packed Pop Tarts box sound healthy? Just remember, no Peeps were actually eaten in the course of this experiment (I have no comment on the Pop Tarts, though).


Once the children had the egg completely surrounded by Peeps...




.... they taped the box shut...


...and dropped it off our deck (and, look at that sky, could it be anymore blue!?!)...


...to the hard, and not yet green, sod below.


Apart from a little marshmallow goo, where one Peep stuck to the side of the egg...


...the egg came out with out a crack, protected by the Peeps from Newton's Second and Third Laws .


For more science themed fun for children, check out this week's Science Sunday link-up, over at Adventures in Mommydom.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

Phyllis said...

Glad to see you back. This was really cute and funny. Peeps and Newton, huh? Youre the tops.

Christy Killoran said...

How fun! My kids would love this experiment.

Ticia said...

My kids would love this too! I wonder if I can convince them to forgo some of their peeps to try this?

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love this! Very neat experiment, and I am glad you are enjoying some sunshine. Happy Easter!

SweetandSimpleThings said...

LOVE this!!! We are going to try this with our left over decorative peeps because ummmmmm I don't want my kids eating them (especially after your experiments) : )

Unknown said...

WHEW! I am so glad to know that no Peeps were eaten in the making of this experiment... :0)

Brimful Curiosities said...

I'll have to remember this one for when my kids must work their own egg protection device for school.

Susan said...

Another good use of Peeps ;)